Sunday, October 11, 2009

Proverbs that captures me and the joys of reading them..

Proverbs 18:17

The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him.

It's a practical principle from WOG in context of making decision. Even in the way we perceive things. So how?

The first to present his case puts a case from his perspective with all his reasoning, till another comes to offer a possible perspective of things.

It's easy to just be swayed or agree with a subtly lob sided account of a subject matter and it takes discipline and a discerning mind to sieve through the entire account. Hearing the question from another or ourselves questioning the account purposefully, it helps to see a clearer picture of things.

This principle i find personally is very important as we want to show grace and understanding the way Jesus did. It's useful in relationships, views towards issues in life/world/nations, mediating or providing useful help.

For me personally, it is useful in helping me to hold the critical side of me. It helps me to hold back so that i can respond instead of reacting and most see things in a balanced and informed manner. As I go about thinking about this verse, I felt thankful that God gave me this very useful mental framework for He know I badly needed this.

But of course, not forgetting HS's guidance for discernment and wisdom as many times things potentially can be quite well and beyond what i can see, hidden things or facts i did not know or facts overlooked despite the best effort.

In summary, i would again use another proverbs (one of my favorite too) to describe, Proverbs 21:31 (The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD.).. Proverbs 18:15 helps me better ready my horse for battle in this particular area while trusting the Lord for the victory.

It definitely helps me move away from this increasingly..

Proverbs 18

2 A fool finds no pleasure in understanding
but delights in airing his own opinions.

With a fool, it is harder to find grace, mercy and love....

No comments:

Post a Comment